The Dundonnachie Stomp

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: Dundonnachie Stomp, The

• Tune Type: 2/4 Reel

• Composed By: B. Rankine

• Arranged By: B. Rankine

• Year Composed: 2004

viperpiper
Site Admin

The Dundonnachie Stomp

Post by viperpiper » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:57 pm

To be played very even.

I made the third part repetitive deliberately - I wanted it to be very rhythmic and basic, and I also wanted to try and use the gracing as a simple sort of melody (when playing it I tend to try and play the gracing in the 3rd part quite open). The inspiration comes from some of Fred Morrison's live performances and other players I've heard playing in a session where they get so carried away with the rhythm they will do something like this for part of a tune.
Attachments
The Dundonnachie Stomp.gif
The Dundonnachie Stomp.gif (8.85 KiB) Viewed 8092 times
The Dundonnachie Stomp.abc
(564 Bytes) Downloaded 786 times
The Dundonnachie Stomp.bww
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times
The Dundonnachie Stomp.mid
(4.85 KiB) Downloaded 1393 times

david n. siegel

How fast do you get this one going?

Post by david n. siegel » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:13 pm

Rhythmic repetition works great!

You know, on all those G-D-E-D low-A quadruplets, a harmonic note held for the duration of the quad, going up the scale, might be powerful. If you've got the right chanter reed with a great drone blend, this could end up with the audience whooping and hollering, and drowning out the High As in the last part.

So how many BPM do you revv this one up to? This is a white heat tune, I'd say. Keep the oil clean and watch your pistons.

-David.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Post by viperpiper » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:31 pm

Thanks for the comments :)

I play most reels around about 104 to 108 bpm. I usually play this tune a little faster if my fingers are going well - as fast as I can while still keeping it rounded.