FALLS OF CLYDE THE SHIP Hornpipe

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry

david n. siegel

FALLS OF CLYDE THE SHIP Hornpipe

Post by david n. siegel » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:55 pm

This was composed for a Caledonian Society of Hawai'i event which took place on the the Scottish-built clipper Falls of Clyde. There is a non-bagpipe Falls of Clyde tune or medley, named after the falls of the same name, but I didn't know that at that time. I never did play the tune at the event.

I played many times on this ship, and it was the practice headquarters of the local pipe band, the Honolulu Pipes & Drums, for a few years.

The F of C was one of the last clipper ships built, and is made out of steel. She is today the onlky fully-rigged 4-masted clipper still alive according to the restoration authorities. She is a floating historical site permanently moored in Honolulu Harbour.

I left this in one of my many heaps of loose music (next to an old blue mimeograph of Soldier's Joy). Then I forgot about for more than a quarter of a century. It was composed specifically for a six-step sailor's hornpipe dance.
Attachments
FALLSCLYDESHIP.GIF
FALLSCLYDESHIP.GIF (39.2 KiB) Viewed 7213 times
OOGC Hornpipe 2-4 Falls of Clyde.bww
(4.45 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
fallsclydetheship.mid
(17.25 KiB) Downloaded 1021 times

callanish

Post by callanish » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:02 pm

OH WOW. This tune is simply magnificent! My wife is a highland dance teacher, and this would be perfect for a six-step Sailor's Hornpipe. I am going to learn this one for that very purpose. Sin thu fhèin, a bhalaich!