King David's Dance

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: King David's Dance

• Tune Type: 2/4 Dance

• Composed By: David N. Siegel

• Arranged By: DN Siegel

• Year Composed: 2004

david n. siegel

King David's Dance

Post by david n. siegel » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:57 am

Named after one of our more famous Kings, for his spontaneous dance before the Ark of the Covenant on its way up the mountain to be returned to Jerusalem.
Attachments
Hornpipe 2-4 KING DAVID'S DANCE.bww
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 985 times
KngDvdDnc.GIF
KngDvdDnc.GIF (17.9 KiB) Viewed 15935 times

piob_jadis

Post by piob_jadis » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:28 pm

Just by the name I knew I'd like it and I did....very cool.

awpiper

Post by awpiper » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:12 pm

VERY VERY NICE!........Definitely one I will be learning!
Pardon my ignorance but, Is there a type of dance that can be done to this tune?.......It has a flow that may fit a dance?
Again you put alot of yourself into your writing and it shows!......Well Done!
Cait Am Biodh Na Puirt Nach Faigheadh Na Piobairean
(Where would the tunes be the pipers could not find)

david n. siegel

Post by david n. siegel » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:37 am

The dancing to which this tune refers was one of "spontaneous joy," as oppossed to something correographed. The beat structure might be more typical of the eastern Med, than modern Highland dance. (Though I wonder sometimes how much conformity, Calvinism and competition have done to native Highland dance.)

I'd love to see a very light-fingered drummer put a score to this, playing against the stressed off-beats.

dubblin_o_shea

simply amazing !!

Post by dubblin_o_shea » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:08 am

this tune is amazing ! I definately would like to see you write more tunes like this ! it reminds me of your garnet hill tune !!!

awpiper

Post by awpiper » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:57 am

I can think of a few dummers (SORRY....DRummers).....that would be up to the challenge.....I will pass on the tune and see what they come up with......and then overlay the drum score and tune together to see how they sound.....Should be along in the next few days.......They like a challenge!.
Cait Am Biodh Na Puirt Nach Faigheadh Na Piobairean
(Where would the tunes be the pipers could not find)

piob_jadis

Post by piob_jadis » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:30 pm

The beat structure might be more typical of the eastern Med,
Yes, that's what I thought--no offence, but it reminds me of the music often used in the middle east for bellydancing!

david n. siegel

Post by david n. siegel » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:32 pm

Well, my side of the Fertile Crescent isn't really "belly-dance country." I was thinking more of the spontaneous expressions of faith as done in dance, maybe at weddings, or when someone experiences what they are certain was a miracle. Besides, with the epidemic in youthful obesity these days, even in much of the third-world, the very idea of belly-dancing has taken on a new twist--or should I say, a new jiggle, or two.

The GHB does have a long-ish tradition of good service for Arab cultural events. I have even given a Christian Arab friend of mine from a neighbouring village a gift of playing the pipes for a Debka (a rowdy all-male line-dance) at his wedding.

Today's innovation is tomorrow's tradition. Sometimes I feel like that medieval MacCrimmon pupil who watched his master head off to town, and when his master was out of earshot, he started working on a Neil Dickie tune (maybe The Clumsy Piobaire).

piob_jadis

Post by piob_jadis » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:32 pm

The GHB does have a long-ish tradition of good service for Arab cultural events. I have even given a Christian Arab friend of mine from a neighbouring village a gift of playing the pipes for a Debka (a rowdy all-male line-dance) at his wedding.
Ah, yes, I love dancing the debka....I suppose the men don't know that we ladies dance it with our female Arab friends behind their backs 8) I lived in Jordan for two years and we plan to go back to the middle east in the near future.
Today's innovation is tomorrow's tradition. Sometimes I feel like that medieval MacCrimmon pupil who watched his master head off to town, and when his master was out of earshot, he started working on a Neil Dickie tune (maybe The Clumsy Piobaire).

lol. I almost have to do that! My instructor despises The Clumsy Lover, The Pumpkin's Fancy, and almost anything else of that sort![/quote]